Sunday, June 24, 2007

Living it up and Slumming it down


Sometimes you want to take the time to make the best possible food you can, and then there are the times when you go with what you know. This was discussed last night when I made strawberry shortcake.







no, not that one.

I was going to go with a complicated shortcake recipe, cutting in the butter, sifting, etc., but then I realized two things. 1: I didn't feel like doing all that. 2. I had Bisquick in the pantry.
So I whipped me up some Bisquick and we were enjoying the season's best in 12 min. flat. I did cull a good tip from the fancy cookbook however, mash some of the strawberries and mix in with the sliced- this way you don't have the unfortunately "slide off" problem.

The experience got us thinking, and so I'll end my post with a question, Carrie Bradshaw-style: Which foods are worth the extra effort, and which are best straight out of the box?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Making a pie crust from scratch is definitley worth the effort. Really, it isn't that difficult with a little practice.
I also like mac and cheese from scratch.
Yo Mama

Mama said...

Jiffy corn muffin mix-box wins.