Thursday, January 17, 2008

The 1950's dinner, minus the after-meal cigarette





Still looking for the cookbook for the "Julie and Julia" project, and a recent meal made me think I might go old school- maybe a 1950's era book. There's something really great about the era of martinis, rumaki, dress aprons... and baked potatoes. On a whim, I bought two cube steaks (you know, those ones that look like someone had run them over) and was trying to figure out what to do with them. The only book I had that had any sort of recipe was my 1960's era Betty Crocker, who suggested turning them into Stroganoff by sauteing onions and adding sour cream to the pan. Jacques Pepin's "Fast Food My Way" contributed a quick way of getting a good baked potato (6 min. in the microwave, 12 min. in a 450 oven), and with some sauteed broccoli, we were in Leave it to Beaver land in under 30 min.
Oh, that Betty! Look how sassy she looks circa 1986...

No comments: