Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Tired, desperate, really wanted cereal

When we were growing up, our Dad often used to fix us a little bowl of milk and cereal before bedtime. Pair that with a warm bath, and you've got the fixins of a good night's sleep. I can't remember what that feels like, but I did really want some cereal during a recent night up with my constantly-feeding baby, and the last bit I had was aged to softness.

I vaguely remembered reading that you could heat up cereal in the oven and thought "who the hell would ever do that instead of going to the store?" but, being too wiped out to drive and reluctant to transport said infant, I gave it a try. Wow. 10 minutes at 300 degrees (I think, don't hold me accountable for any messes) and it was like a fresh new batch. Just one of the little things that can sometimes mean a lot.

No comments: