Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Chicago is Homespun - Even Without Hooters

I'm in Chi-Town for a day and a half on a business trip. The last time I was here, almost 10 years ago, I was amazed at how friendly and open every single person was going out of their way to help, smiling on the street, even politely asking for change. Now, I believe there are nice people everywhere (yes, they are even in Paris!) but these folks were way high on the happy meter.

However, I thought that my impression might not be entirely accurate since, last time, I was wearing ginormous fake breasts.

Last time, I was visiting a friend who hadn't seen me in a year. The Homespun Urban sisters LOVE a good prank (it was often all we had to entertain us besides books and weird French shows on Canadian TV), so I got some of those 'cutlets' that you put in your bra, the enhancers that were just coming out on the market at that time. I got some huge ones and wore them for three days, while my extremely refined and polite pal Kelly keep looking and obviously wanting to ask what had happened to take me to a DD but not daring to. Everywhere we went, people opened the doors, bought me drinks, helped me with my coat...it was like being a celebrity but also somewhat lonely without eye contact. Finally, I said "I guess you've noticed something different." "Well, yeah...I'm a little surprised." "I know," I told her, "but I've always wanted really big boobs, and now that I live in a place where nobody knows me from before, I decided to get them done." "Oh, that's nice." "I know it's a little odd..." I said. "You know, why don't I get rid of them right now!" I reached into my shirt and flung the cutlets at the fridge, where they stuck sweatily for a second before hitting the floor to Kelly' s horrified screams. Ah, good times.

The point is, I am not "loaded up" today, and the people are still so amazingly nice! I raise a char cheese dog to you, Chicagoans.

2 comments:

Ethel76 said...

In celebration of all things Chicago, go have the famous Chicago dog. It's not what you think-it's actually kind of healthy. The dog has tomatos, pickles, green peppers, celery salt, chopped onions and something else I can't remember. Anyway, they're G- double O-D good. I also once had an omelette with mozz cheese topped with meat marinara sauce in Chicago. Guess you have to be polite when you can't stop burping.

Mama said...

Little sister, I am a step ahead of you. I did indeed enjoy said dog and even photographed it for a future posting...I also went ice skating! This town ROCKS.