Friday, February 8, 2008

Presenting....the Philadephia Clam Pie

The best that 1942 has to offer. The next year in my Cook Gourmet Magazine Anniversary Issue Project (I need a shorter way to say that. CGMAIP?) is the probably not-so-appetizing sounding Philadelphia Clam Pie. It's sort of clam chowder in a puff pastry shell, except it's not milk or cream based. Surprisingly, the thickener is clam juice with cornstarch rather than dairy, but it still has a nice, creamy taste to it. If you're inviting your lactose-intolerant friend over, have no fear with the Philadelphia Clam Pie!

I'm still unsure of the Philadelphia reference on this one. I don't recall Philly being known for its seafood, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, this guy was also delicious, especially on a cold night. It was also Ash Wednesday, which I don't really celebrate any more, but it made me feel accidentally virtuous to go meat free. The score card:

1942: Philadelphia Clam Pie (Click for recipe)

Guests: The Commune
Votes: 5 for, 0 against. "A keeper" says Kurt. "Better than I thought" says I.

Final Score: Gourmet 2, Hunger 0.

No comments: