Tuesday, April 22, 2008

24 hour cauliflower

I recently read the woman who writes the Orangette blog's column in Bon Appetit. She talked about a meal she had as an exchange student in France that blew her mind and shaped her palate from there on out. One of the things she spoke about was a plate of steamed leeks with a vinaigrette. For some reason, this sounded just about perfect, and since I had the day off (Patriot's Day: A holiday only in Massachusetts, Maine, and strangely, Wisconsin, that celebrates the revolutionary-type Patriots, not the soul-crushingly defeated football team), I thought I'd make a nice meal. I roasted a chicken with lemons under the skin, and cut up a cauliflower I had to roast as well. The reviews of the cauliflower on epicurious all talked about how "transforming" it was, how good, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

We had a lovely meal, the leeks were delicious, and this morning when I got up the husband asked "hey, weren't we going to have cauliflower last night?" Oops. I opened the oven, and there they were: Shriveled, defeated, a shadow of their former glorious selves. Full disclosure: When I reached in the oven to get them out, I put on a pot holder. Why? What can I say-it was early. He started to throw them away, but I wanted to try them.

They tasted like cauliflower bar mix: salty and crunchy. Well, and cauliflower-y.

I ate the whole pan.

Next tag line: Too Busy to Cook? Leave the Meal in the Oven All Night!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You always were a risk taker! I did the same thing with carrots but never thought to try them. Maybe you are on to something here.
YoMama