Wednesday, August 1, 2007

A chicken in every pot


That's a campaign slogan that needs a comeback- maybe Edwards will adapt it to his folksy style. I've been buying small whole chickens and roasting them in the early morning when it's not too hot (no air condition in the kitchen this summer, so you've got to plan ahead). After it's done, throw it in the fridge, have it for dinner and let the leftovers roll you through the dog days of summer. I have to admit, I've been off chicken for a while simply because I work at an elementary school, and chicken seems to be the only protein (except for hot dogs) the boys will eat. During the summer, the teacher tries to keep as far away from all things school as possible. I'm back, though , and with a vengeance: it's so tasty, and you can vary it a little each time. I always jam a little butter under the skin for tenderness, and I've mixed it with fresh herbs from the city garden (plot of dirt next to the hose), gone Asian with ginger and garlic in the butter, soy sauce on top, and summery with lemon and rosemary. They're all good. After dinner, pull the meat off, boiling the carcass with some water, add any leftover rice/noodles/veg, etc. and freeze: you've got yourself a nice lunch once winter rolls around and the only thing going on in the city garden is a pile of dirty snow.

No comments: